Tuesday, August 19, 2014

West Virginia: a gorgeous state

Just got back from driving through I-64 in southern West Virgina. Amazingly, I had never been to that part of WV despite living in the DC area on and off for several decades. Although there were tourists, I can't believe more people don't head out there or least talk about it: lush forest on the slopes of the Appalachian mountains with winding rivers through the valleys like the New River Gorge. On the Virginia side, Staunton is one of my favorite towns in Virginia and is a straight shot across I-64 from Lewisburg, WV to the west and also to Lexington, VA to the east. I-64 west pulls off 81 the main Shenandoah highway not far south from Staunton, one of my favorite Virginia towns, and Charlottesville.

From high up on the New River Gorge overlook at Grandview State Park (city exit off I-64) you can see thousands of feet down to the winding river, a raft slowly floating down, and at 1 pm the coal train came through, I counted roughly 100 cars, amazing. Need to look into what else you can do at Grandview and where to get rafts, the water was very easy and smooth. I later read that the New River is one of the oldest rivers on the continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment